Wednesday, August 13, 2008

"Inny Minny Minny mo, where the hell did all my hours go. . ." (aka Wal-mart part two)

This is my part two of my rant against the "Big Blue" or better yet Wal-Mart. Once again I would like to state I normally agree with big business practices, however, Wal-Mart and businesses like Wal-mart should enter a check and balance system to prevent them from becoming too powerful or allowing them to continue a bad cycle of employee care. Overtime in the United States, the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 established that a standard work week should consist of nothing more than forty hours for certain kinds of works. This act allows mandates meaning that payments should be made to workers that is one and one-half times the workers' normal pay rate for any time worked more than forty hours. For those who did not read my first rant about Wal-Mart, I discussed that the minimum wage pay rate in the United States is $5.58 per hour, so once an employee reaches forty hours that means they should receive $8.37. Which means $8.37 and hour could add up overtime, this is why business discourages overtime practices. So let give you a little back story, when working at Wal-mart they often claim that they are always short-handed and demand that do not have enough employees to handle the workload that the warehouse keeps giving them. Also they demand that their current staff work off the clock, by hinting that if they do not the current workers can always "be replaced." So how can someone "be replaced" if you cannot find someone to fill in there spot? Easy, you purposely short-hand yourself in order to keep workers in line by means of making them feel guilty because you are short-handed, and find a replacement when you need to find one. If you were to enter a manager of any Wal-mart nationwide I guarantee that you will fine a stack of potential workers that would help with the short-handed staff. Allow me to back track to overtime, Wal-mart employees are meant to work off the clock at the fear of losing their jobs or if they are still on the clock managers will go back and change an employees hours backwards to forty hours so that they will not have to pay overtime (so current workers please keep track of your hours.) I would love to continue but I am very sleepy, so I end it here and pick up on this and start the next topic tomorrow. Or maybe I will just combine them for tomorrow.

No comments: