Friday, August 22, 2008

"Catering" or "accommodating" is actually the same as "To-may-to" and "To-ma-to"



Okay allow me to be straightforward when I say that I am tired of America catering to Hispanics and their language. In the newspaper and recent online articles that have came across my desk, the majority of them state that America is not catering but rather just "accommodating" to those who speak solely nothing more than Spanish. Accommodating is a funny word in itself and the manner in which the word is being used in is equally as funny. Allow me to explain, since the word accommodating comes from the word accommodate it is safe to say that the root word for accommodating is accommodate. True enough. Now the word accommodate is defined by Webster's Dictionary as "to provide suitably; supply (usually fol. by with): to accommodate a friend with money. " and by the American Hertiage Dictionary as " To do a favor or service for; oblige" Now from both definition you notice the words supply(in the Webster's definition) and oblige(American Hertiage Dictionary) are also synonyms for the word cater. So by adding the suffix of -ing to it, you are basically saying that accommodating is the same as catering. So people who believe that America is accommodating to Hispanic speakers need to understand exactly what the word they are using actually means.
As a person who grew up in a military family, I have traveled, lived and seen the world and all it has to offer. Other countries such as Korea, Japan, even places such that has a high yield of those who speak English such as Jerusalem do not really spend a lot of time catering to the English-speaking people(or for that matter any other language that does not represent the majority of the nation.) I can remember numerous times going to non-English speaking country Fast-food restaurants(McDonald's, Kentucky Fried Chicken, or etc) literally pointing to exactly what I wanted because I was unable to speak the language. As months progressed onward, I had to eventually learn some phrases in order to make my way around town and get what services I needed( this method also went for my parents and other military families around the world.) So the real question is how hard is it for others to do the same? There are plenty of English as a Secondary Language classes also known as ESL classes where they can spend their time learning the English language. Coming across the border is not a right nor something you do just cause it is the cool and hip thing to do. It is a choice, and as with any choices you must understand the consequence rather it is good or bad that comes from the choice you make. If you are not willing to adapt to the English language then go back home. I am not saying that you should abandon your language but pick up the English language in the process. Senator Obama, during his speech about the boarder control issues went on a tangent and said that American children and adults alike should learn to speak a second language and hinted that we all should begin taking Spanish classes, that is fine Mr. Senator I agree with what was said about learning a second language, however what about those that come to the United States who do not claim themselves as Americans or those that come here illegal and are not forced or want to learn a English as a second language? So what is the point of us catering to them if they are not willing to work with us? Also as for the job market, it is ridiculous to try and find a job now-a-days because you must speak Spanish. I could have a 4.0 grade point average, come from an ivy league school, spent my summers working along-side people who are consider leaders in that particular field, on top of that I speak well, dress like I a decent human being, and a kind individual. However, when the job hunt comes around I am condemned because I refused to learn Spanish. Where is the justice in that? Currently I do not speak Spanish nor do I care to do so in the future. I speak Japanese, English and perhaps Chinese as the years move onward. So why should I or those who come from other countries and speak their native tongue be hindered because they do not want to lose their own language and adopt not only English but Spanish as well? I say stop catering by sending home letters in Spanish and English, stop giving school, town hall, and another "normal" public speeches in Spanish and English, stop taking away the need for English, stop forcing children to use Spanish and allow them to be fine if they want to learn Latin, French, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, or even Korean. Either work with us or go back home problem solved.

2 comments:

WileyCoyote said...

It's more than "catering" or "accommodating", Don. The Federal and state governments have taken to hiring Hispanics. My husband spent two hours on the phone with the SS office recently - and those two hours were spent, for the most part, trying to make himself understood to a female hispanic who simply did not understand the language! He asked that she put someone on the line who spoke the language, and she became resentful and angry, insisting that she knew English - and refused to put her supervisor or anyone else on the line. Everything he said had to be repeated at least twice. Of course, if he wanted to accomplish the purpose for which he had called, he had to stay on the line.
Sure enough, the paperwork he received was completely inaccurate.

This isn't being accommodating or even catering - this is brazen and unapologetic, perhaps even purposeful, dysfunctionality.

"P. B." said...

I'm an ESOL teacher. I'm trained to accommodate (or cater) to speakers of all languages...IN CLASS...and even in class accommodation should be limited. That goes for Spanish, other recognized languages and even local ethnic dialects. Unfortunately, businesses and governments have decided that it's to their advantage to accommodate the special needs of certain groups, rather than force them to assimilate by learning English. While I can relate and sympathize with the difficulty of learning a new language, and in my own family there have been Cantonese speakers and Russian speakers, the message of official accommodation of special language needs is that there is a right to that accommodation, and there isn't.

PS...Welcome Donny Sunshine. I don't think we're going to agree a lot, but I'm glad you're here.