Friday, September 19, 2008

Small Wonders

In the world today, we often think if we win the big war we win in life. Even though that can be true to an extent, the real thing that we overlook is the small battles and small victories that lead up to our success. You know, I was so excited that I received a B- on my first genetics test and received a probable A+ or B+ on my first Japanese test. ((In high school, I would have not accepted anything less than an A+ but now you can say I lowered my standards but in the grand scheme of things I go to Furman University which is probably the hardest college in the state of South Carolina and one of the best University in the Southeast of the United States where a C here is a B in most other colleges.)) I start to think to myself most people would overlook a B+ but for me this small victory means so much for me. Like I could do this(I have inattentive disorder and dsylexia) if I just pushed myself harder than I ever have before. In our society we demean the value of small victories, because they do not give us fame or satisfies us as much as winner the war. Small victories can make or destroy us as much as a big war could ever do to us.
Last year's Superbowl everyone praises the New York Giants for winning the Super Bowl can laugh at the New England Patriots for having a perfect record and blowing it at the end but nobody pays attention to the small victories that gave the Giants confidence to feel like they can do this or that all the small victories the Patriots had they became complacent with winning so they became overly relaxed.
Or how about Bill Gates, he is world renowned as the one that created Microsoft but everyone overlooks the small victories he had. The completion of the first line of his program, the success of Windows 1.0 and 2.0, the success of Windows XP, all these small victories made him want to continue and pull forward.
Or how about Stephen Hawkins who is known for his contributions to the fields of cosmology and quantum gravity, from his first experience with math, to the first time he was able to use a computer to speak all these small victories has allowed him to be great.
I ask everyone to take the time out of your day to think about all your small victories that either help or hindered you in life and think about how little you have looked at these things that have made you who you are in life.
I want everyone who reads this to take the time out of you busy day.

4 comments:

Four Eyes said...

Congrats on that B-! I understand! FU Class of 1997! I found your blog through the Lowcountry Blog Jam, of which I have just become a participant. Hang in there. All your hard work will pay off. Don't you hate having to explain to non-natives how great FU is? Nobody around here is from around here, so when I tell them I was graduated from Furman, they just stare at me with a blank expression. Oh, well. I know how hard you must have worked for that B-. Congrats!

Donny Sunshine said...

Thank you and allow me to welcome you to the Lowcounty Blog Jam. Yeah, I do get tired of explaining Furman to people who do not understand. It is kind of like trying to tell someone the sky is red, they just look at you like you are crazy. The good thing is I am seeing a lot more Furman graduate around the low country especially in the town Bluffton. I was just informed that a few months ago somebody from Furman just moved into my neighborhood so I have to go say "Hello" to them. Do you know about the new schedule change this year?

Four Eyes said...

Yes, I read on the website about the new schedule. I can see the advantages, but one thing that attracted me to Furman in the first place was the former system. What do you think about it so far?

Donny Sunshine said...

The new schedule is okay, but like most professor and the upperclassmen I am still fond of the old system. The new system we lose out on anywhere from ten to twenty hours (I used to know the exact number) of in class time. Also a lot of the professor here are forcefully feeding us lessons rather than allowing us to take the time and digest everything. Which lead the the fact of almost everyone in my class failing the Genetic's quiz the other day. Luckily for us we have the option to redo it.