Friday, September 12, 2008

Freaking Useless People Organization( I am BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCK!!!!!!!!!!)

This week has been the first face to face encounter with the Furman University Police Officers also known as FUPO around campus. I also realized that FUPO stands for “Freaking Useless People Organization” except I would use another word besides “freaking.” I am dyslexic and have been written and documented to have what is known as Inattentive Disorder, so according the a clinical psychologist I have dealt with over the summer it would make sense that I would take classes in the morning and spend my afternoons studying, thus is the reason why I purposely scheduled all my classes before one-thirty in the afternoon. In addition to scheduled morning classes, I am required to volunteer through The Campbell Scholars Program ( a program/scholarship funded through Furman University) which I also decided to schedule in the morning because I wanted the afternoon in order to study more. So allow doing the math of “If two different things coincide during the morning time slots there has to be a little or no break in between the ending and starting times of two things.” If you think that then you are correct my friend. So as soon as I end my volunteer time, I have just about ten to twenty minutes to come back to campus and prepare for my first class of the day. Upon coming back to class for the first two weeks of school, I park in Lot C across from my first class of the day. Usually I am out of the parking lot one-thirty but this particular Monday I had a classroom study session for my first genetics exam (which I received a B on) that started at two. So I did not have time to return to my car to North Village (the name of the complex I live in on campus.) Nevertheless, officer number twenty-one decided to ticket me for improper zoning. So I go to complain, the office attendant responded to my request is that you have to go the proper channels. Fine, I respect that. Then I spoke with one of the officers who were basically told me I had no grounds, I was stupid for trying to take the law into own hands, I should have read my packet and that I should pay the ticket before I get a boot on my car or something to that nature. So I went home and got online and tried to find the laws of Furman University, funny thing was that paper that I was suppose to have received I did not receive from Furman upon receiving my car-tag. Nevertheless I went online and it confirmed what I believed in. Lot C is designed for commuters, faculty and staff E permits, visitors, guest, P.A.C members and program participants. Program participants and commuters, hey wait, I fall into those two categories because Campbell Scholars is a program funded by Furman and the only reason I park there is because of Furman. Also the commuters root word is commute and the act of commute is called commuting so a commuter is someone who is commuting and the definition of commuting is defined by the follow as to travel back and forth regularly (Merriam-Webster), an act or instance of commuting, especially the trip made by a commuter (American Heritage), commuting is the process of travelling between one's place of residence and regular place of work (Wikipedia.) So by definition, I fall in both categories and should be in the clear zone. Wrong. “Apparently Lot C is enforced twenty-four hours of the day, and designed for Commuters, faculty and staff E permits, visitors, guest, P.A.C members and program participants. Which means that being a commuter, I am able to use that spot because I travel to and from campus to do a job that was assigned to me by the school. Also I am a program participant in a way because Campbell Scholars is a program that is ran by Furman University and I am participating in it. Regardless that I fall into those two categories I was still ticketed, so if I was a visitors, guest, or a P.A.C member would I have still been ticketed (apparently on the back of a ticket it states that one should go to the Furman University Police Office to have a ticket removed, despite that method no one really gave me a direct it was all a system of run around answers.”(Excerpt from my letter to the head of the Furman Police.) After obtaining said information, I waited till the next day and allow my frustration to be heard by my friends (whom the majority are pacifists) and they were basically like just pay the ticket and stop parking there. What I told them is I will pay the ticket but I want answers and not this humming and looking to the sky like the answer is suppose to magically fall from there. As if God- Almighty would shine down a light that would give them the tools to be rid of me once and for all. I do not play when it comes to dealing with me, when I was little the teacher used to say “Donny, go outside because it is recess time” I told her “ No, because I do not play” and almost eleven years later I still do not play. So the following day, I went back to the office with all my documentation (rules, my class schedule, conversations held between me and the director of where I work stating that I go to work on the following times that I stated, conversations between the director and myself stating that I am a Campbell Scholar and documentation stating that Campbell Scholar is a Furman Program. The desk clerk of the day told me that she had no answer and that her boss was swamped with work and had left to go take a breather and does not know what time she would return. So instead of leaving, I sat down in a nearby chair and waited until her boss came in much to the clerk’s chagrin. Her boss, came in and did not want to talk to me after I flashed that I had documentation in my hand. She basically told me there was nothing she could do and that I should go talk to someone else. Which lead me to turn to the clerk and say who should I speak to first, the President of Furman University David Shi or is there someone here who knows what they are doing? This led me to write a letter to Bob Miller who is head of the Furman Police ending the letter in “Also, online it states that there is a way to get a special parking pass, if need be to stop me from coming to you every time something like this should if it possible to get a pass from you? Also if need be, I would be more than likely to send you any paperwork that verifies my Campbell Scholar membership, my John I Smith Learning Center hours, Portable Data Files in which I found information about parking. All that I am asking for is a direct answer from somebody in your branch that knows something.” Three days later, I get a reply from Mr. Miller saying that “The issues, as you stated, are complex. . .” and that “. . . I will be in the office until 5:30 pm today. . .” so at three that same afternoon, I made my way down there to go see Mr. Miller to discuss things. The first time, I was turned away due to him being busy. I understand that much, so I returned forty-five minutes later. As soon as the desk clerk saw me for the second time he ran to the backroom to do whatever it is that they have been doing for the past five days(Yes, this issue took a week to resolve.) So I sat down and was waved to the back after ten minutes. During my talk with Bob Miller and I was very impressed by him and we resolved my problem by getting me a permanent temporary tag for the time of my classes and later voiding my ticket. This issue raised my respect for the Furman Police. If respect was a number let just say that FUPO would have an impressive batting average. Bob Miller instead gets my whole-hearted thank you because he seems to be the only one really doing anything and has the answer. So I hate FUPO but love him kind of how people hate Congress because they are ineffective but love their Congressperson.

1 comment:

WileyCoyote said...

Wow, Donny. That is some story!

I guess - welcome to the world where small minds have great responsibility, and no idea of how to handle it; who cop a superior attitude because of their ignorance and fear of being discovered as weaker than they want to present. I'm glad Mr Miller could help you resolve it at last - that rarely happens; usually the ones at the top are the most power-flummoxed of all!